The origins of its name can be found in Tamil folklore In olden days, it is essential for a man to show his bravery through many traditional sports. These sports are conducted to test their physical as well as their mental strength. One such game was to lift a heavy rock, in which, the newlywed bridegroom is asked to lift the rock in front of everyone to display his physical power. In order to boost the energy and power of son-in-law to lift the rock successfully, mother in law wanted to cook and serve a rice which is high in nutritional value. Mappillai samba is one such native rice which has got a high nutritional value that will help him to stay focused while lifting the rock as well as gives him the power to lift. Hence, this red thick rice got its name as “Mappillai Samba” and was often cooked and served to newlywed bridegrooms.
Health Benefits of Red Rice:
- A good source of zinc and iron more than other coloured rice grains.
- anthrocyanins are the colour pigments contain anti-oxidants.
- Contains pro-anthocyanidins.This compound reduce highg cholestrol and hyper glycemia in type- 1 and type -2 diabetes.
- Consuming red rice may help lower cholestrol.too much cholestrol in our blood can begain to build up in blood vessels. blocking the blood flow and increasing risk of heart attack.
- Iron in red rice contributes to the production of myoglobin and hemoglobin.Myoglobin and heameglobin deliver oxygen to muscle and tissues keeping ours in high energy level.
- High in fiber helps to reduce risk of cholestrol cancer.
- Red rice is gluton free and wheat free,makes it consume for individuals with celiac disease.
- One serving of red rice contains 200 calories.
- Red rice contains 48 gram of carbohydrates and dietary fiber are 3 gram.
- Rich in dietry fiber also promotes a healthy digestive system and lower risk of heart disease and other obesity related conditions.
- Contains 8% protien in 50grams[recommended].Diets low in fat prevenr–t clogged arteries and aid in weight maintanence.
- Contains iron,manganese,phosporus,molybdinum,magnesium and zinc.
- No calcium and sodium.